Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Final Year Farewell Cupcakes

This is another long overdue post.

I finally graduated from med school last year and as a final hoorah, we had a hospital farewell party for the final year students down at the local pub with loads of entertainment - trivia, games, dances and singing. It was a fun night to be had and a good chance to mingle with the doctors. To say thank you to my fellow students for the fun times and the invaluable admin girls at the Clinical Teaching Unit, I painstakingly worked on 34 personalised face cupcakes with one of the most wonderful-est friends, Monica who stayed up with me and helped me till 4.30am.


Meet the St George Class of 2009
Now, for the how tos...


Step 1: Bake lots of cupcakes with lots of backups

Step 2: Slice off the top of the cupcakes so that it's flat and apply a thin layer of buttercream just so there's something for the fondant to adhere to


Step 3: Roll out fondant thinly and cut into a circle and place on top of the cupcake (I used a plastic IKEA cup for this) remembering to use either a lot of cornflour or COPHA so that the fondant doesn't stick to the table/cup etc. Then using a food colouring pen, or a brush draw on facial features/make little noses out of fondant

Step 4: Add fondant hair





Oh, and I used Wilton Ready-to-use Rolled Fondant in Natural Colors, which made my life a whole lot easier.




blog comments powered by Disqus