Saturday, May 28, 2011

Cheerios outfit for Nikki's 25th


Quick post about a cake I made for my friend Nikki's 25th birthday today. She loves Glee so I made a replica of the Cheerios' cheerleading top. It was a bit of a rush job so the joints aren't as neat as I would like them to be and normally, I would have carefully measured out things and been much more accurate but I was very limited by time (and bad planning).

The interesting thing about this cake is that it is a gluten free cake made out of maize flour. I learnt today that the cornflour that is sold in our supermarkets in Sydney is completely different from the cornflour you will see in American recipes. The cornflour that we have here is in fact made out of wheat (and thus, so very not gluten free) and is really corn starch. The cake turned out alright but methinks I'm going to keep experimenting with gluten free cake recipes until I find one I really like. In the meantime, I can't wait to make cornbread with my leftover maize flour!

If you're looking for maize flour, I got it from Dr Earth Go-Vita on King Street, Newtown. It has a great range of gluten free (and other health food) items (http://tinyurl.com/3dfqlhn).
Posted by Picasa
blog comments powered by Disqus